Skip to main content

Full text of "The Lenox Chronicle"

See other formats


-£ 



/¥/ 



Ik 



e 



Lenox Chronicle 



A wcdily newspaper published in the interest of Lenox, its people and its neighbors in Berkshire County. 
First published in 1828. Again issued voeahly. Ten cents the copy. 



Vol. 1001 



MONDAY, JULY 3, 1922 



Last Edition 



TOMORROW'S 4th OF JULY 

CELEBRATION TO ECLIPSE 

ANYTHING OF THE KIND 

PREVIOUSLY DONE IN 

BERKSHIRE COUNTY 



Big Procession. 60 Dif- 
ferent Features. 



PROCESSION WILL BE RE- 
VIEWED BY BRIG. GEN. C. L. 
McCOWLEY OF THE MA- 
RINE CORPS, WASHING- 
TON, D. C, AND BY 
FORMER AMBASSA- 
DOR HON. HENRY 
M. WHITE 



Historical Sketch 



The town of Lenox, located at the 
summit of the Berkshire Hills, in Western 
Massachusetts, was first inhabited by 
white men in 1750, and was incorporated 
in 1765 under the name of Richmond. 

The township included the territory 
now covered by the towns of Richmond 
and Lenox and a section extending slill 
farther toward the east. 

Because the township was of consider- 
able size, and the western part separated 
from the east by a Mountain range,it was 
thought best to make the two sections 
into two separate towns, the westerly 
section to continue the name of Richmond 
and the easterly section to be given the 
name of Lenox. 

The towns were thus named in honor 
of Sir Charles Lennox, Duke of Rich- 
mond, great grandson of Charles Second. 

Sir Charles was a leading English 
statesman and an exceedingly warm 
friend and defender of the American 
Colonies. 

The first settlers came to Lenox from 
the vicinity of west Hartford and Wal- 
lingford, Conn. 



The means of conveyance at that time 
was principally by ox cart and horse 
back. 

The first town meeting in Lenox was- 
held on March 1st, 1767. 

The first church (Congregational) was 
built about the year 1768. 

The present church on the hill was 
first occupied in 1806. 

At the breaking out of the war for 
independence Lenox sent a regiment 
under Col. Patterson to assist in the 
defence of Boston and Lexington. 

Since Lenox was the geographical cen- 
ter of Berkshire it was made the county 
seat in 1787 and continued as such for 
81 years. 

The first Court House was erected in 
1792 on the site of the present Town 
Building and was in later years occupied 
for town meeting purposes and as a Post 
Office. 

The building was moved to its present 
location at the corner of Church and 
rlousatonic Streets by Thomas Post. It 
{Continued on page 2) 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 

Issued according to an Act of the Lenox Chamber 

of Commerce, May 26, 1922. 

To be entered in Lenox Post Oilier as 1st Class Mail matter. 



Edited by T. II. E. COAT. 



EDITORIAL 

The Chronicle is issued weakly for the 
reason that it has no supporting staff to 
lean on. 

Applications for positions as supporting 
Editors will be received at the office of 
the Information Bureau. 

The policy of the Chronicle is to tell 
only the truth, and to fearlessly con- 
demn the wrong. - 

This issue is given over entirely to the 
Lenox Independence Day celebration. 

The many demands for advertising 
space have had to be turned down be- 
cause of lack of room, causing much 
weeping among the office help as salaries 
cannot be paid until next 4th of July. 

Our subscribers will kindly refrain from 
severe criticism of our shortcomings as 
our editors have been working overtime 
since 1828 when the last issue was pub- 
lished, in an endevor to get this before 
the public in time for tomorrows events. 



The officers of the Lenox Chamber of 
Commerce for 1922 are: 



Benjamin H. Rogers, 
R. A. Stanley, 
George L. Hughes, 
Alan Ion R. Sedgwick, 



President 

Vice-President 

Secretary 

Treasurer 



and the following Board of Directors: 

Dr. E. P. Hale, Mr. C. M. Sears, Mr. 
Thos. F. Mackey, Mr. Wm. G. Clifford, 
Mr. F. S. Delafield, Mr. L. II. Peters, 
Mr. H. W. Jones, Mr. 0. L. Hughes, Mr. 
Benj. II. Rogers, Mr. Geo: A. Mole, Mr. 
R. \. Stanley, Mr. Ceo. F. Bourne. 



Committee Heads 

The heads of the several committees 
on the celebratioD are as follows: Ben- 
jamin H. Rogers, Chairman of Committee; 
Ernest T. Curtis, Chairman of Parade; 
Miss Kate Cary, Chairman of Women s 
Committee; Geo. L. Hughes, Chairman 
Finance Committee; 0. R. Hutchinson 
Chairman National Salute; Benjamin 
H. Rogers, Chairman of Bells; Herbert 
J. Klipp, Chairman of Decorations; Elmer 
C. Newton, Chairman of Main Street 
Stunts; Wm. R. Stanley, Chairman of 
Music; Alfred Peters, Chairman of Signs 
and Banners; Garfield R. Hutchinson 
Chairman of Base Ball; Oscar R. 
Hutchinson, Chairman of Fire Works; 
Peter A. Neilsen, Chairman of Brother- 
hood Boat Club Water Sports, etc.; Edwin 
Jenkins, Chief, Traffic Police. 

Space, time and strength does not 
allow us to go further in describing the 
works of tomorrow or the names of the 
many willing hands that will make to- 
morrow's pageant a great success. 

To those friends we will .say: Look 
to the next issue of the Chronicie, in the 
meantime we thank you — we thank you ! 

Historical Sketch— (Continued) 

is used for business purposes and is at 
present owned by George Warner. 

The second Court House was erected 
in 1816 on Main Street and is now used 
principally as a library. 

Beside it was erected the County Jail 
and to the south the Berkshire Coffee 
house now the Curtis Hotel. 

At that time as now all roads led to 
Lenox, Berkshire's Capital. 

Pittsfield, the municipal neighbor to 
the north, commenced to look with en- 
vious eyes upon the bustle, the business, 
the increasing life and trade of the Coun- 
I y seat and in 1816 made a mighty effort 
to capture it for herself. From that time 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



POSSIBLE GREAT OPPOR- 
TUNITY FOR STOCKBRIDGE 
AND LENOX PEOPLE IN 
OPENING A MINE AT STOCK- 
BRIDGE BOWL. OAR FOUND 
NEAR BROTHERHOOD BOAT 
CLUB. MANY MINORS 
FLOCKING TO THE LAKE 

(to take a plunge.) 

till 1868 the battle between the two towns 
went on for possession of the courts. 

Lenox, as a beautiful mountain resort 
town, had been steadily gaining in re- 
nown, so its influential people thought 
best to relinquish to their friends in 
Pittsfield the courts and the jail, realizing 
it was more necessary to their community 
than to Lenox. 

The Court House was later purchased 
by Mrs. Adeline E. Schermerhorn, a 
summer resident, and donated to the 
town, to be used as a public Library. The 
Lenox Library Association was given a 
perminent lease of the property. The 
Library has many rare and valuable 
books and has on its shelves 21,000 
volumes. 

The early history of Lenox is closely 
allied with the installation of the Rev. 
Samuel Shepard over the village church 
in 1795 with his pastorate lasting over 
50 years. 

Lenox Academy was incorporated in 
1803, and as a preparatory school for 
higher education, had a national reputa- 
tion. Many prominent figures in our 
country's educational and political life 
received their early education here. 
Among them are Dr. Henry W. Field, 
President Mark Hopkins, Hon. David 
Davis of Illinois, Governor Yancy of 
South Carolina, Alexander H. Stephens, 
Vice President of the Southern Con- 
federacy. Today this beautiful old land 
mark in the village is one of the Town's 



best assets, as a school for young children 
from the families of the cottagers in 
Lenox, Lee and Stockbridge, thus afford- 
ing opportunities for these families to 
remain longer each year in the Berkshires 
and to keep their children in school 
under the guidance of especially trained 
teachers. 

Another famous institution in old time 
Lenox was the Katherine Sedgwick's 
school for girls. Mrs. Sedgwick con- 
ducted this school from 1828 until 1864. 
Mrs. Sedgwick's husband was clerk of 
the courts during that time. 

Lenox as a resort town dates back to 
1846. The pioneer among that class of 
residents was Mr. Samuel Ward of New 
York who built on what is now the 
Carnegie property. Following the Wards 
came the Bullards, Tappans and Higgin- 
sons from Boston and the Woolseys who 
built at the head of the Valley on what 
is now the Aspinwall Hotel property. 
Then came Fanny Kemble Butler, Henry 
Ward Beecher, Nathaniel Hawthorne 
and Charlotte Cushman. 

Lenox today is a town of magnificent 
estates, rich in agriculture and far to 
the fore in horticulture. 

The Lenox pageant this year is illus- 
trative of Lenox from its earliest days 
until the present time. 

The first section will form on Yokun 
Avenue from West Street to the Golf 
Club gate. 

The second section will form on Cliff- 
wood Street, the head resting at Yokun 
Avenue and extending North from that 
point. 

The procession will start as near 10 A 
M. as possible, and will pass through the 
following streets: Yokun Avenue to 
Cliffwood Street, Cliffwood to Main 
Street, pass to the right of the monument, 
thence up Walker Street to Kemble 
Street — turning for a countermarch 
through the Fielinghuysen driveway and 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



back through Walker Street, Main Street, 
Franklin Si reel. Church Street, Walker 
Si reel there to disband. 

Every feature in the 1st section will be 
numbered. Descriptions according to 
number follow: 

1. Town Crier — Theodore Butler. 

2. Town Police. 

3. American Legion Band of Pittsfield. 

4. American Legion, Lenoxdale. 
Veterans of foreign wars, Lee. 

5. Civil War Veterans. 
Spanish War Veterans. 

6. The Boy Scouts. 

7. Representing the first inhabitants. 
Indian Chief — Mr. Haines. 

8. Hinsdales house, the first built in 

Lenox, R. S. Tillotson. 

9. The Old Lenox Pittsfield Stage 

Coach. Passengers: Mrs. Frank- 
lin Hutchinson, Mrs. Fred Kirk- 
ham, Mrs. A. S. Winslow. 

10. Old One-Horse Chaise — Miss Good- 

win. 

11. The Duke of Richmond, Mr. G. F. 

Dickinson. 
The Dutchess of Richmond, name 
not revealed. 

12. The Spirit of 76, East Lee Drum and 

Fife Corps. 

13. Declaration of Independence, H. 0. 

H. Society. 

14. The Liberty Bell, B. H. Rogers, 

Peter J. Tyle. 

15. Costumes of 1790, The Misses Win- 

throp. 

16. The first Wedding, 1807, Miss Kate 

Cary, Mrs. Peter Neilsen, Mrs. 
George Hughes. 

17. Hawthornes Red House, 1840, Mrs. 

R. S. Tillotson, Mrs. C. L. 
Brown. 

18. The Shakers, 1850, Mrs. A. H. 

Wingett, Mrs. Robert Rose, Mrs. 
C. D. Duclos. 



19. The Village School, 1860, Miss 

Edith Fitch, Miss Mary Gorman. 

20. The Quilting Bee, 1860, Miss Fitch 

and the Jenkins family. 

21. The County Court, 1860, Mrs. B. 

H. Rogers, Mrs. C. M. Sears, Mrs. 
E. P. Hale. 

22. The Village Choir, 1865, Miss Edith 

Fitch, Mrs. E. T. Curtis, May 
Hughes. 

23. The Old Victoria, 1865, Miss Edith 

Fitch, Miss Helen Hughes. 

24. The Photograph Album, 1870, Miss 

Edith Fitch, Miss Florence Ma- 
hanna, Mrs. S. Boneff. 

25. Flower Parade, 1890, Mrs. A. P. 

Stokes. 

26. Flower Parade, 1890, Mrs. Edwards 

Spencer. 

27. The Berkshire Hunt, 1910, Miss 

Kate Fielding, Mrs. W. R. De- 
Witt, Mrs. T. J. McGuire. 

28. The Visiting Nurse, 1914, Dr. L. A. 

Stanley. 

29. War Workers, 1917, Mrs. C. L. 

Brown, Mrs. R. S. Tillotson. 

30. Up to Date, 1922, Miss Jane Peters, 

Miss Lucy Brown. 

31. Tally-ho, Mr. Harris Fahnestock. 

32. Lenox' Oldest Citizens, Mrs. Win- 

chell, Mr. Wells Parsons, Mrs. 
Edward Parsons, Miss Clara 
Peck. 

33. Flora, Lenox Horticultural Society. 

34. The Dairy, Highlawn Farm. 

35. Paper Industry, Smith Paper Co. 

36. Lenox Dale ? 

37. Lenox Business, Moses Brothers. 

38. Board of Selectmen. 

39. Lenox Fire Department. 

40. Lenox Dale Fire Department. 

41. Lenox School Committee. 

42. Lenox Board of Assessors. 

43. Lenox Board of Health. 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



44. Lenox Street Department. 50. Sir Robert Scott's Highland Police. 

45. Sidewalk Department. Feerless and bold, don't know 



46. A wee bit of old Scotch, Tillotson. their duty but do it. 

51. The Lenox CAnaRY Band. Every 
one a musician of note. Each one 



SECOND SECTION 

There are secrets in this section not to 

be revealed until the procession is under 

way, but the following are to be let lose. 

t>. i . u ,, xl t ! 52. The Stockbridge Bowl, Boating, 

Right here we would warn the onlookers D , . , ° , . 



has his own note. All play with- 
out notes, note the harmony. 



Bathing and Fishing. 
53. The Chinks ! ! 



not to encroach on the line of march nor 

allow your dogs on the street without a 

leash, as the police have been ordered to p - p p p p p 

capture any stray dogs or indiscreet 

children. Charlies Brother Charlie has loaned 

47. Cow Boys, John and Herbert Par- us his aeroplane for the day, any one in 

sons. Lenox who has had the most experience 

48. The police patrol, "Black Mariah." in going "up in the air" will be given a 

49. Lenox Base Ball Club. seat in the flier. 



4th of July 



In the early days Lenox had many grand and patriotic 4th of July Celebrations 
notable among them being the one observed July 4, 1809 as described in detail in 
Palmers History of Lenox and Richmond. 

In 1921 this patriotic spirit was again brought to the surface. There was an all day 
celebration with a parade, athletic games, auto race, a Base Ball game and a Band 
Concert on the main Street Park. At Stockbridge Bowl in the early evening the 
celebration was continued with water sports, fire works and a Band concert. 

This year (1922), the program for the patriotic celebration of the day is to follow: 

LENOX 
4th of July Program 
1922 

7.00 A. M. Ringing of church bells. 
7.00 A. M. Firing of National Salute— 13 guns. 
10.00 A. M. Pageant — Lenox, past, present and something else. 
12.00 M. Ringing of church bells. 
2.00 P. M. Stunts on Main Street. 

3.30 P. M. to 6 P. M. Band Concert on the Main Street Park. 
6.00 P. M. Ringing of church bells. 
7.00 P. M. Stockbridge Bowl water sports. 
7.30 P. M. Band concert at the lake. 
9.00 P. M. to 10 P. M. Fire Works at the Lake. 
10.30 P. M. Home Sweet Home. 
After 6 P. M. Food and drink can be procured at the lake. The Lake Committee 
is providing sandwiches, hot dogs, hot and cold coffee, ice cream and various safe 
drinks all at moderate prices. 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



Program of Fireworks Display 

July 4th, 1922 

1 — Salvo of 3 Mammoth Reporting Bombshells ascending 600 feet in the air and 
exploding with a report that can be heard for miles. This announcing the be- 
ginning of the display. 

2 — Carmine illumination of all the surroundings. 

3 — Ascension of 6 fancy display rockets ascending to a great height and displaying 
six different effects of rare brilliancy. 

4 — Mammoth battery display emitting balls while in the air divide into brilliant red, 
white and blue stars. 

5 — Ariel bombshell display of two nine inch Japanese Night Shells exhibiting the most 
beautiful combinations of color and designs with magical change and effects. 

6 — Geyser Flight or Umbrella of Fire. Two prismatic whirlwinds forming an im- 
mense revolving column of brilliant fires ascending high in the air emitting 
showers of golden spray and terminating in a crown of variegated stars of every 
hue. 

7 — Prismatic wheel display of two 14" vertical wheels producing variegated circles 
of fire. 

8 — Set Piece device "Chinese Fan" opening with a changing colored vertical wheel 
with kaleidoscopic center, followed by a beautiful fan of peacock feathers 
surmounted by a battery of colored stars with showers of electric meteors. 

9 — Rocket display of two Parachute rockets with floating stars changing colors 
making a most beautiful display in the air. 

10 — Rocket display of two heavy Willow tree rockets which on reaching a great 
height display a gorgeous weeping willow tree whose branches slowly length- 
ening downward waving and hanging in the air finally reach almost to the 
ground. This is one of the most beautiful fires ever used in fireworks and the 
color is a brilliant gold and produces an exceedingly fascinating effect. 

11 — Flight of Fiery Dragons. Two Mammoth Dragon Nests which commence with 
discharged of electric stars, each star in its flight separating and making a 
number of smaller stars or flashes. There is also a shower of brilliant colored 
fires and as a final a grand outburst of hissing fiery dragons takes place filling 
the air with hissing noises and leaving trails of brilliant fires behind them as 
the> shoot through the air. 

12 — Eiffel Tower Display. Two prismatic whirlwinds ascending amid a whirlwind of 
golden Gre and terminating with a sunset of splendid colors. 

13 — Rocket Flight of three Fancy Effect rockets giving beautiful varied effects high 
in the air. 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



14 — Fixed Set Piece, "Diamond Star". This has a revolving Saxon Wheel illuminated 
in colors first revolving in one direction then another. Surrounding the cen- 
ter is a star of brilliant sun fire terminating with loud reports. 

15 — Wheel display. This is a double radiator wheel displaying amid a halo of golden 
shower globules of brilliant hues. 

16 — Floral Bombshell display of two large Bombshells which display a series of colored 
stars and then ignite a shell and send it high in the air where it bursts showing 
a fine bouquet of colored stars 40 to 50 feet in diameter. 

17. Ascension of Bombshells. Two nine inch Japanese Night Shells which are fired 
to a great height from a mortar and bursting there give a wonderful exhibition 
of a sunburst and willow tree. 

18 — Rocket Flight of 6 Heavy exhibition rockets that are specially made with great- 
est care and exhibit the most pleasing and wonderful varied effects with many 
combinations of color and pyrotechnic novelties. 

19 — Set Piece "Chaplet of Roses". This comprises a beautiful wheel, the base 
revolving, with emerald and crimson centers above which is displayed a bou- 
quet of roses in rainbow tints. 

20 — Aerial Fusilade. This is a 100 Shot Niagara Battery which is a new and beautiful 
battery effect which is very popular as they are the acme of Pyrotechny. 

21 — Rocket flight of 4 fancy assorted rockets, which bursting in mid-heaven form an 
Aurora Borealis like shower of electric jewels of emerald and saphire tints, 
falling slowly to earth. The latest and grandest effect in the art. 

22 — Wonder Illumination, produced by 60,000 candle power A. E. F. position lights 
like used on the battle fields, to light up the Enemy's defences during the War. 

23 — Cascade of bombshells No. 3. A battery of vari-colored meteors ending with a 
multiplying bombshell effect in mid-heavens. 

24 — Rocket flight of 4 assorted Fancy special heavy rockets giving the most pleasing 
aerial effects displaying Liquid Gold, Searchlight, Twinkling Star, Cornucopia 
and Cascade effects. These and also the following exhibition of rockets are 
something extra special and are produced from some of the heaviest and finest 
rockets possible to make. 

25 — Parachule rockets with floating stars which change color making a most beauti- 
ful display in the air. 

26 — Two Willow Tree Rockets special heavy and giving this most beautiful, effect of 
the Weeping W ill.ow Tree in the grandesl manner known to I he pyrotechnic art. 

27 — Grand Finale device "Good Night" flanked on either side by extra large Devil 
Among the Tailors, Dragon nests and Whistling Jacks which fired simul- 
taneously make a superb ending of the magnificent Display. 



< 



8 



THE LENOX CHRONICLE 



Mr. W. B. 0, Field Is awa\ up north 
od a fishing I rip. wo shall all miss him. 
\\\> moving pictures of lasi years parade 
were good and \er\ interesting. 

There was some discussion among the 
officers of the Chamber of Commerce as 

lo I he advisability of having the fire- 

• 

works display in the village instead of 
at the lake. Mr. Rogers took the ques- 
tion up with Mr. Neilsen and his com- 
mittee and with Mr. Oscar Hutchinson 
who has charge of the fireworks. Mr. 
George F. Bourne and Mr. E. L. Curtis 
were drawn into the conference and all 
possible and some impossible places were 
visited. The one ideal place for this 
exhibition was found at the Golf Club, 
but the soft condition of the turf because 
of the wet weather, made this impos- 
sible. The next best place appeared to 
be the lot on Main Street just beyond the 



Log Cabin; This lot appeared to have 
many advantages but the lower part is 
very wet. 1 1 was finally agreed that il 
was best this year to follow the pro- 
gramme as first laid out. 

The fact is many of the fireworks are 
powerful pieces and explode from 300 
to 500 feet in the air — because of this a 
large space clear of trees and away from 
residences is needed. 

The officers of the celebration request 
that as many people as possible who have 
trucks will run them to the lake during 
4th of July evening, to accommodate the 
many who may wish to take in the Lake 
sports and who are not fortunate enough 
to own transportation. The president 
and director of the Lenox Chamber of 
Commerce wish to most heartily thank 
those many kind friends who have helped 
to finance this patriotic celebration.